What Interviewers Want to Know
|What do you know about the organization?
- What do you think a typical day is like here?
- What sparked your interest in [this organization]?
- Do you have any suggestions for how we can make our organization better?
- What made you decide to apply for this job?
|What do I need to know about your personal traits or characteristics?
- What is your strongest attribute?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- What personality traits make you suitable for this position?
- If someone said one word to describe you, what would that word be?
|How do you work with others?
- Would you rather be micro- or macro-managed?
- Tell us about your best and worst boss.
- What is your ideal work environment? That is, what type of boss/co-workers would you like to work with?
|What skills do you have relevant to this position?
- What work experience have you had that is relevant to this position?
- Tell us about any specialized training or certifications you have.
- What skills do you think you need to add to your repertoire?
- How will you get those skills? I know about your college and work background, but what else have you done that would aid us if we were to hire you for this position?
|What are your personal goals?
- Why do you want us to hire you?
- What is your dream job? How would this position help you get there?
- What is your seven-year career plan?
- Do you have plans for graduate school?
|How much do you know about your specialized area?
- What are your strongest points with [two specific skills that the job requires]?
- What are the most important traits of a person in your field?
|How have you handled specific situations? (Behavioral questions)
- Can you tell me about a time when you effected a change?
- Give me an example of a situation that didn't work out well.
- What have you done that you are most proud of?
- Tell us about a time when you took a unique approach to solving a problem.
Adapted from "The Job Interview," an article by Susan M. Katz in the NACE Journal.
Courtesy of the National Association of Colleges and Employers.