A summer intern will be responsible for assisting in the day-to-day operations of the accounting department. The internship is full-time (40 hours per week) during the summer semester and paid at a rate of $15.00 hourly.
- General ledger responsibility for assigned entities, including timely closing on a monthly basis and producing all required management reports
- Performing detailed trial balance preparation, analysis and reconciliation
- Analyzing and reconciling accounts
- Assisting with preparation of financial statements
- Preparing and ensuring the accuracy of accounting records
- Compliance with internal controls
- Preparation for and participation in internal and external audits
- Communication with other departments and regional personnel, including first line regional financial contact and support for assigned regions
- Performance of other accounting duties, as required
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Outlook
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels and continue to maintain a high level of objectivity and independence
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND/OR CREDENTIALS:
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
This position is employed by the specific entity set forth in the job posting.
Genesee & Wyoming Inc. and its subsidiary companies do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or any other protected status under federal, state or local laws.